4 large onions
3 tbsp butter
32 fl oz beef stock
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup red wine
1.5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 large bay leaves
1 cup croutons, or sliced dried baguette
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Dice the onions and add to a pot with the butter; sauté for 5 mins on medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add portions to oven safe bowls, and add cheese, croutons and top with extra cheese.
- With oven set to Broil, place soups in the oven and bake until cheese has browned (pay close attention, as this happens quickly).